[Haskell-beginners] Can't install Haskell platform on Mac OS X El Capitan

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Oct 12 11:01:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Yury Pachin <yuriy.pachin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Haskell platform - bad idea.
>

> Someone will have to explain to me why when the whole Haskell community
> considers cabal-install and the Platform --- supposedly *from* the
> community --- to be the works of the devil, you all haven't set out to rid
> the world of the evil incarnate that created them.
>
> We will as always ignore or explain away little inconveniences, in favor
> of our preferred utter hatred.

Actually, there _has_ been a lot of effort to both fix the Haskell Platform
and - in the interim - get it off of the main download page. For example:

https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-community/2015-September/000014.html

There was also a poll taken in response to a related thread on the
community list:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1w2wKSxn5YN4LtSXYHvFT2IFw_BDaT_2cjUkP9pDeqLQ/viewanalytics

As you can see, the vast majority of the poll respondents wanted the HP to
be the least recommended option on the page, and a number of comments said
it should be done away with entirely.

Michael