[Haskell-beginners] Fwd: cabal install snap-server-0.9.5.1: At least the following dependencies are missing: attoparsec >=0.10 && <0.13 && ==0.13.0.1

Bjørn Øivind Bjørnsen bo.bjornsen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:57:15 UTC 2015

On 10/07/15 16:48, Imants Cekusins wrote:
> Thank you very much Bjørn.
>
> Are Stackage packages - a subset of Hackage packages? Do packages get
> uploaded to Hackage and then get transferred to Stackage?
>
> It would be nice to agree to merge Hackage & Stackage, cabal-install &
> stack one day. Without this merge the "DLL-mess" might get worse.

My experience from playing around with stack the last couple of nights
have been that Stackage is indeed a subset of Hackage packages, but that
it is possible (and fairly easy - if not very documented) to use
packages from Hackage with stack as well. One caveat - depending on how
you look at it - is that you end up specifying these packages with
specific versions in the stack.yaml file for your project.

I personally believe that both a curated subset of "known good" packages
like Stackage and the complete set of packages like Hackage can co-exist
to their mutual benefit. I can certainly see the appeal of stack - I
rather like it so far.

Bjørn Øivind