[Haskell-beginners] Stackage latest snapshot

Peter voldermort at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 07:52:24 UTC 2014

Michael Snoyman <michael <at> snoyman.com> writes:

> The preparing your system for Stackage page[1] has those auto-updated
links available (e.g., GHC 7.8 exclusive is [2]).

Thank you. I read the page at least 3 times, but missed that because the
links redirected to the latest snapshot, and the Stackage server only has
static snapshot links. Perhaps it should be made clearer that these links
will redirect to the current snapshot, and add them to
http://www.stackage.org/snapshots as well?

> You already identified the downside with this: you may magically be
upgraded to a new version of a package. If you really want to do this, you
can, but my recommendation is to manually decide to upgrade your Stackage
snapshot consciously instead of letter an arbitrary Jenkins build server
make the decision for you.

I'm using Stackage as a QA'd Hackage. It sounds like you see it more as a
server-side cabal freeze.