[Haskell-beginners] Stackage latest snapshot

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Sep 3 04:50:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Jeremy <voldermort at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to point my cabal file to the latest Stackage snapshot. I seem
> to recall that there is a link which will automatically resolve to this,
> but
> I can no longer find it.
>
> Does this link still exist? Is there a good reason for not doing so? I
> understand that this will introduce a little instability, but I'm OK
> dealing
> with that in return for not getting stuck on the same package versions
> forever.

The preparing your system for Stackage page[1] has those auto-updated links
available (e.g., GHC 7.8 exclusive is [2]). You already identified the
downside with this: you may magically be upgraded to a new version of a
package. If you really want to do this, you can, but my recommendation is
to manually decide to upgrade your Stackage snapshot consciously instead of
letter an arbitrary Jenkins build server make the decision for you.

Michael

[1]
https://github.com/fpco/stackage/wiki/Preparing-your-system-to-use-Stackage
[2] http://www.stackage.org/alias/fpcomplete/unstable-ghc78-exclusive