[Haskell-beginners] learning lazy evaluation

Dimitri DeFigueiredo defigueiredo at ucdavis.edu
Mon Oct 20 21:18:36 UTC 2014

Thanks Bob.

The (lack of) exponential explosion makes sense now. And, yes, I was
using both ghci and ghc 7.6.3 without any flags.

When memoization takes place is still a little murky to me, though.
Figure 2.2 in that chapter of Simon Marlow's book has the kind of
"aliasing" with the number '1' (two pointers pointing to the same
location) that I thought would also happen with 'minimum_bug xs' , but I
guess 1::Int is a special case that is different from other terms
without optimization or the depiction is not accurate.

I have a further question on that is troubling me. It seems that
constructors are treated differently from other expressions when it
comes to evaluation. The examples in the book show that:

Prelude> let x = 1 + 2 :: Int
Prelude> :sprint x
x = _

In other words, x is just an unevaluated thunk.
But at the same time:

Prelude> let x = 1 + 2 :: Int
Prelude> let z = (x,x)

Prelude> :sprint z
z = (_,_)

So, 'z' has been evaluated to WHNF.
I was expecting to get:

Prelude> :sprint z
z = _

Meaning, an unevaluated expression. Just like we did with 'x', but it
seems z has already been partially evaluated. Am I getting this right?
Are expressions with constructors evaluated differently? Why is :sprint
z different from 'z = _' in this case?

Thanks again,

Dimitri