[Haskell-beginners] learning lazy evaluation

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Oct 20 19:21:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Dimitri DeFigueiredo <
defigueiredo at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> I found an interesting situation while making recursive calls that I am
> trying to understand. I re-wrote the 'minimum' function from the prelude as
> such:
>
> minimum_bug :: (Ord a) => [a] -> a
> minimum_bug  [x] = x
> minimum_bug  (x:xs) | x > minimum_bug xs = minimum_bug xs
>                     | otherwise          = x
>
> (I understand I should be using something like "minbug xs = foldr1 min xs"
> for this, but bare with me)
>
> The interesting thing is that the function has exponential time behavior.
> In a way, that makes sense as I am making two recursive calls. But I was
> expecting GHC to be smart enough to transform it into something like:
>
> minimum_bug' :: (Ord a) => [a] -> a
> minimum_bug'  [x] = x
> minimum_bug'  (x:xs) | x > y      = y
>                      | otherwise  = x
>                         where y = minimum_bug' xs
>
> (This one always works as expected)
>
> I understand that lazy evaluation implies memoization in some cases.
> When does GHC only use memoization to avoid this kind of behavior?

I assume you're trying this with ghci or compiling without optimizations.
In these scenarios GHC isn't doing anything clever at all, so there will be
two separate calls to minimum_bug in each recursion. Using a variable
ensures that this value is explicitly shared between the guard and the
result in the list.

This section of Parallel and Concurrent Programming in Haskell helped me
understand Haskell's non-strict evaluation model:
http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000929/ch02.html#sec_par-eval-whnf

Another interesting fact is that in my simple tests the exponential
> behavior does NOT occur when I pass the function a list in sorted order.
>
> main = do putStrLn "started - in order list"
>           putStrLn $ show $ minimum_bug [1..30000]  -- no problem
>           putStrLn "started - out of order list"
>           putStrLn $ show $ minimum_bug [27,26..1]  -- don't do this with
> large numbers!
>           putStrLn "done!"
>
> It's not clear to me how the sorted list is able to escape the exponential
> slow down.

Because displaying the value doesn't have any recursion to it, since it's
`x` and not `minumum_bug x`.

You can walk through the execution.

-- Original call
minimum_bug [1, 2]
-- Expand the first matching pattern
minimum_bug (1:[2]) | 1 > minimum_bug [2]
-- minimum_bug [2] is forced due to the guard
-- Evaluate minimum_bug [2]
minimum_bug [2]
-> 2
-- Step back to the guard we were trying to evaluate
minimum_bug (1:[2]) | 1 > 2
1 > 2
-> False
-- Guard fails, go to the otherwise case
  | otherwise = 1
-> 1

The `1` is already in normal form, so `putStrLn . show` doesn't have to do
any extra reductions.

If you walk through with `minimum_bug [2, 1]` you'll end up with
`minimum_bug [1]` as the result, which is not in normal form and thus
requires additional evaluation when `putStrLn . show` attempts to display
it. If you use a larger list and walk through, you can see that the amount
of redundant evaluation explodes when the list is in descending order.

-bob