[Haskell-beginners] Is working with Haskell easier on Linux than on a Mac?

Jeffrey Brown jeffbrown.the at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 20:13:50 UTC 2014

I have read that Haskell is easier to work with on Linux than on Windows.
Is Haskell on Linux also easier than Haskell on OS X?

I'm trying to do realtime OSC output from Haskell, because concurrency in
Python is hard. Brandon Allbery on the haskell-cafe list, told me "chrt"
and "sched_setscheduler" would be helpful. At the shell prompt I found that
my system (OS X 10.9) does not recognize "chrt". I found a library on
Hackage, "posix-realtime", that claims Mac compatibility and has a
"sched_setscheduler" function, but my attempts to install it fail:

sh-3.2# cabal install posix-realtime
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading unix-2.3.2.0...
Configuring unix-2.3.2.0...
Building unix-2.3.2.0...
Failed to install unix-2.3.2.0
Last 10 lines of the build log ( /var/root/.cabal/logs/unix-2.3.2.0.log ):
Building unix-2.3.2.0...
Preprocessing library unix-2.3.2.0...
 dist/build/System/Posix/Signals.hs:124:10:
 fatal error: 'Signals.h' file not found
#include "Signals.h"
 ^
1 error generated.

Even if I found a solution to this particular problem, I'm worried I'll
keep running into similar ones, because I'm sure I'll keep trying new
packages. Would this kind of work be substantially easier if I were using,
say, Linux Mint?