[Haskell-beginners] What to do next?

Tony Morris tonymorris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:15:05 UTC 2014

I teach FP for a living for an organisation called NICTA. This is the
material I use primarily https://github.com/NICTA/course

If you can do the easy stuff, fine. For example,
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/src/Course/List.hs
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/src/Course/ListZipper.hs
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/src/Course/StateT.hs

If you want it a bit harder:
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/src/Course/Parser.hs
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/src/Course/JsonParser.hs
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/src/Course/Cheque.hs

But if you can do any of these, then I would say you are not a beginner
anymore:
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/projects/TicTacToe/TicTacToe.markdown
https://github.com/NICTA/course/blob/master/projects/NetworkServer/NetworkServer.markdown

On 21/03/14 04:17, bruce li wrote:
> Hi, there,
> I'm relatively new to Haskell...well... I mean I haven't done anything
> I believe truely in Haskell. I have gone through materials like Learn
> You a Haskell for Real Good, Real World Haskell, most chapters in
> Haskell Wikibook, Write Yourself Scheme in 48 Hours, Algorithms: A
> Functional Approach and other materials in Haskell Wiki.
>
> *But... what I feel is that I'm not confident while writing Haskell
> code.* Having gone through all those materials with "magic", I always
> feel I'm writing stupid code and there must be more elegant way...
> And... what's worse, I feel guilty while using IO monad but I simply
> cannot avoid it, like when I try to write code generator for a toy
> compiler, I need to keep state of the registers, which I need IORef...
> Then I feel its not pure anymore but I don't know how to get around it.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else shares this kind of feeling and what
> should I do next? Could anyone suggest any project to get hands on
> experience with Haskell?
>
> Another question is that the deeper digging into functional algorithms
> design (reading the book Pearls of Functional Algorithm Design), the
> more ignorant I feel. So how do I make up the basics like fold law,
> list induction etc. Any suggested reading materials?
>
> Well.. I think that's a lot question. Thanks for your patience and
> your kind help.

Tony Morris
http://tmorris.net/