[Haskell-beginners] What to do next?

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 19:08:35 UTC 2014

On 20/03/14 18:17, bruce li wrote:
> Hi, there,
> I'm relatively new to Haskell...well... I mean I haven't done anything I
> believe truely in Haskell. I have gone through materials like Learn You a
> Haskell for Real Good, Real World Haskell, most chapters in Haskell
> Wikibook, Write Yourself Scheme in 48 Hours, Algorithms: A Functional
> Approach and other materials in Haskell Wiki.
>
> *But... what I feel is that I'm not confident while writing Haskell
> code.*Having gone through all those materials with "magic", I always
> feel I'm
> writing stupid code and there must be more elegant way... And... what's
> worse, I feel guilty while using IO monad but I simply cannot avoid it,
> like when I try to write code generator for a toy compiler, I need to keep
> state of the registers, which I need IORef... Then I feel its not pure
> anymore but I don't know how to get around it.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else shares this kind of feeling and what should I
> do next? Could anyone suggest any project to get hands on experience with
> Haskell?
>
> Another question is that the deeper digging into functional algorithms
> design (reading the book Pearls of Functional Algorithm Design), the more
> ignorant I feel. So how do I make up the basics like fold law, list
> induction etc. Any suggested reading materials?
>
> Well.. I think that's a lot question. Thanks for your patience and your
> kind help.

I recommend that you try and help out with existing libraries. Writing
patches for libs is very easy in Haskell as it's quite hard to break
everything by not setting that one obscure global variable there
somewhere ;)

Toy problems only get you so far, and this way others will benefit too.

--
Mateusz K.