[Haskell-beginners] do Haskell programs have fewer bugs?

Nadir Sampaoli nadirsampaoli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 07:47:35 UTC 2014

Il 19/mar/2014 23:51 "Kim-Ee Yeoh" <ky3 at atamo.com> ha scritto:

> There's a lot of low-lying fruit that's easily plucked leveraging
functional programming.

Thanks for the insight.
The "don't"s are most helpful. I have to constantly take myself from code
golfing and overcomplicating things for the sake of cleverness (especially
in a language that enables you so much).

>> How do you work at a larger (module/project) level? Do you need to have
mastered all the main monads (beyond list amd maybe) and monad transformers?

> Don't sweat them monads. The codebase for GHC doesn't even use monad
transformers iirc.

My point was that when you're arranging new data types you'd probably
benefit from understanding/recognizing behavioral patterns (e.g a Reader, a
State-carrying data structure, etc.).
Nonetheless I think I understand your point in which keeping things flat
simple does come a long way to solving problems.

> Not at all. Haskell mailing lists used to have long, discursive
discussions, but somehow this one turned into some kind of rapid-fire Q&A.
Most of the interesting knowledge can't be unpacked in that format.

Eh, that would imply a certain level of knowledge on both side. The fact
that I'm stubborn and keep writing mails on a phone while train-commuting
doesn't help either.

> -- Kim-Ee

Thanks again,
Regards