[Haskell-beginners] Lions, Wolves and Goats

Elric elric at kiosa.org
Fri Jun 13 15:37:11 UTC 2014

Thank You Ariis,

I was using nub in a wrong way, like so:
meal :: Forest -> [Forest]
meal [] = []
meal f@[Lion l, Wolf w, Goat g]
   | endState f = []
   | l == 0 = [f] ++ weg
   | w == 0 = [f] ++ leg
   | g == 0 = [f] ++ lew
   | (l /= 0) && (w /= 0) && (g /= 0) = [f] ++ leg ++ lew ++ weg
   | otherwise = []
   where
     leg = nub $ meal $ ionEatGoat f
     lew = nub $ meal $ lionEatWolf f
     weg = nub $ meal $ wolfEatGoat f

After looking at your solution, I realized I was essentially generating
every possible state, and THEN trying to remove the duplicates, whereas
in your solution at each step you remove possible duplicates states of
the forest and propagate to the next step only from there.

Thank You,
Praveen