[Haskell-beginners] Deploying a haskell application (not a webapp)

Alan Buxton alanbuxton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 13:47:42 UTC 2014

Hiya

It turned out that my issue was to do with the data files. When compiling
locally, cabal puts the files in /home/alan/.cabal/share and the compiled
application expects to find the files there. So when I deploy my binary I
have to also put some files into /home/alan/.cabal/share which feels wrong.

Alternatives to me seemed to be to set up cabal on my dev pc to install
globally rather than user-based, but that also feels a bit wrong. Sandboxes
looks like they might be useful but I've been having all kinds of problems
with getting vmware tools installed on a sufficiently new version of Ubuntu
to get a more up to cabal.

So I guess the real question behind the question is .. how best to set up
your dev environment when developing in Haskell so you don't end up with
problems like this one where you have data files compiled into some obscure
place.

Alan