[Haskell-beginners] type problems with my little code

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 14:56:50 UTC 2014

You are running into a quirk in the type system.  The haskell standard says
that sub expressions in where clauses that have type annotations with
variables in them (pack'), the variables are not the same as the variables
in the toplevel expression (pack).  When you wrote this code, haskell
inferred a type of pack :: (Eq a1) => [a1] -> [[a1]], and then pack' is
correctly the type pack' :: [a] -> [[a]], but that a1 and that a are
different types as far as ghc is concerned.  But based on how they are
used, ghc says no, they should be the same type, ERROR FIX IT.  Even if you
specify a type for pack that uses "a", the problem still persists because
they are still considered different a's.

There are two ways to fix this.  First one is just remove the type info
from pack'.  Just remove that line and ghc will infer all the types
correctly and you can get on with your day.

The other way is to use the ScopedTypeVariables extension, which everyone
generally loves and uses when they need it.  It has a niggle where it
requires a forall for each type variable in the overall type, but from that
point on it works the way you would expect.

{-# LANGUAGE ScopedTypeVariables #-}
pack :: forall a. (Eq a) => [a] -> [[a]]
pack xs = pack' xs
         where
         pack' :: [a] -> [[a]]
         pack' [] = []