[Haskell-beginners] Lens and imperative programming

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Fri May 24 17:10:50 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Giacomo Tesio <giacomo at tesio.it> wrote:

> I know the limits of imperative programming, and despite the fact that
> lens are purely functional by themself, I'm scared about limits in
> readability of code. I'm afraid of writing "write-only" code.

Without any example or further details about the exact nature of this fear,
I think it's really difficult for anyone to do this question justice.

As a start, try divvying up the issue into syntax and semantics.
Semantically, lenses remain purely functional, as you say. Syntax-wise, it
appears problematic. One path forward is to flesh out what you mean by the
latter.

-- Kim-Ee