[Haskell-beginners] cabal install local troubles (osx)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:44:37 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Miro Karpis <miroslav.karpis at gmail.com>wrote:

> So the new version of cabal is installed in another place. When I install
> new package via cabal, it uses the 1.14.0 version. I have tried to copy the
> new 1.16.0.2 version to bin, but that just didn't help because the new
> packages have been installed somewhere else.

cabal-install installs to your user package database; you want this, it
means you don't have to wipe out the entire installation if you get
conflicting libraries installed. If you are not finding libraries because
you're installing stuff the old "runhaskell Setup.hs configure" etc. way,
just run "cabal install" (with no package name) instead of the Setup.hs
stuff.

Also note that, while ~/.cabal/bin is used on linux, it's
~/Library/Haskell/bin on OS X.