[Haskell-beginners] Using stack inside a function without declaring it as input

Emanuel Koczwara poczta at emanuelkoczwara.pl
Mon Mar 11 11:29:27 CET 2013

Hi,

Dnia 2013-03-11, pon o godzinie 09:36 +0000, doaltan pisze:
> Hi I have a function like this :
> myfunc :: [Char] -> [Char]
> It  is supposed to work pretty much like this :
>      1. Take a string
>      2. Put some elements of this input string to output string and
>         put others to stack.
>      3. Pop elements to that output string too.
>      4. Do 2 and 3 recursively until stack is empty.
>      5. Print the output string when stack is empty.
>
> I couldn't figure out where to define stack and output string. Can you
> help me with that? I'm new to Haskell so I can't think in Haskell's
> logic very well.

  You can try to define a second function inside myfunc with the stack
as an argument:

myfunc :: String -> String
myfunc str = myfunc' [] str
  where myfunc' stack str = ...

  myfunc' can take the stack as an argument, myfunc can call myfunc'
passing the empty stack.

  You should describe your problem more precisely to get more accurate
answers.

Emanuel