[Haskell-beginners] Parsec Library Questions

mukesh tiwari mukeshtiwari.iiitm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:17:12 CET 2013

Hi Sean

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Sean Cormican <seancormican1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm currently trying to run through this tutorial on the Parsec Library
> http://legacy.cs.uu.nl/daan/download/parsec/parsec.html#operator
> and I have a few basic questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to
> shed some light on.
>
> 1. I seem to be having some issues with importing Parsec modules for
> instance.
> "import Parsec" as outlined in the introduction causes errors as does a
> number of the imports used later on in the paper and a solution that I have
> found is to further specify "import Text.Parsec" is this due to some
> changes to importing since the paper was written (in 2001 I believe)?

Initial version of Parsec was written using state monad and later  it was
written  using  monad transformar library so I guess this could be a
reason. May be some one with more experience in parsec can explain it.

> 2. Can anyone recommend if this is a good source to learn to use the
> Parsec Library or if there are any other recommended documents I would
> benefit from ?

Here are couple of links and you can search more files on github.
1. http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/parsec-generally.xhtml
2.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7810909/docs/haskell-parsers/haskell-parsers/html/index.html
3. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Write_Yourself_a_Scheme_in_48_Hours/Parsing
4. https://github.com/jhartikainen/hs-language-php/blob/master/Tokenizer.hs
5. http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Parsing_expressions_and_statements
6. http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Parsing_a_simple_imperative_language
7.
https://github.com/tomahawkins/verilog/blob/master/Language/Verilog/Parser.hs

> 3. I have also tried to run the files that I have created in hugs and ghc
> and while they work in ghc, hugs on the other hand complains about the
> import statements I making e.g. "import Text.Parsec.Expr"
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!!

Mukesh