[Haskell-beginners] The Book

Emanuel Koczwara poczta at emanuelkoczwara.pl
Fri Feb 22 17:05:20 CET 2013

Hi,

> No, because it would be bigger than you could lift and would contain a
> lot of stuff you probably don't care about (are you really interested
> in how Haskell interacts with category theory?  As a working
> programmer, are you interested in exploring the outer corners of type
> theory?)

  I know "Learn You a Haskell" and "Real World Haskell". They are very
helpful, but there is number of topics not covered by these books.

  I want to learn Haskell in finite time, but having infinite number of
resources will not help (books, wiki pages, tutorials, blogs, articles,
I'm probably overestimating, but this is how it looks from beginner
perspective).

  After "Learn You a Haskell" and "Real World Haskell" I was jumping
from topic to topic at Wiki. And it blows my mind, I don't know what I
don't know, and this is very bad. So I have a list of topics that I'm
aware of, and I need to study them:

Arrows
Continuation passing style
Existentially quantified types
Generalised algebraic data-types
Functional reactive programming
Data structures (not lists, not maps and not binary trees, data
structures in general)
Dynamic types
Heterogenous collections
Phantom types
Template Haskell
Functional dependencies

  But I'm afraid that many things will be untouched with that approach.
For example I've found that map :: (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b] is really
map :: forall a b. (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b], I've found ~ (in pattern
matching) and I've found a way to set a field with record syntax (val
{ feld1 = 'a', field2 = 0}). All this by clicking random links on wiki
and google. The problem is, I don't have a roadmap. I was looking for a
book that describes all what I need to know, and it points out
everything what I need or could learn.

  If such a book doesn't exist, where can I find a list (finite) of
"must read" resources to fully understund Haskell (or at last in 80%)?

Emanuel