[Haskell-beginners] How Haskell Fits Into an Operating System / API Environment

Philippe Sismondi psismondi at arqux.com
Sun Aug 11 18:42:08 CEST 2013

On 2013-08-11, at 11:45 AM, Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tend to see OO subtyping and heterogeneous collections as more an impediment to (pure) functional integration with the "rest-of-the-world" than state. There are a lot of quality wrappers to stateful C libraries from Haskell, but few to object oriented C++ or Objective C libraries.

That may be true. And, state and OO types are different issues. I guess I conflated the two because the stateful OS X libraries I use are largely implemented using Cocoa or sometimes C data structures. So, do I make my own Haskell list or record or type representing something in the API, or just access the Cocoa one? etc. etc.

Also, in truth I introduced a totally separate gripe, which is that I find monads and monad transformers to be a hell of a messy and difficult way to deal with state. Sometimes I get sick of all the layering in monad transformers and hand-roll my own monad with all the stuff. But it just seems baroquely difficult. Perhaps I was just to set in my ways when I came to FP, and cannot really "get it". There are things I have never looked into such as FRP, but maybe my poor old brain is just not up to it. Maybe I should have been a janitor or a car salesman.

- P -