[Haskell-beginners] trouble with install SDL?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:49:52 CEST 2012

Hi Gergory

You want to build the binding under MinGW / SYS using the development
headers and libraries from libsdl.org packaged as
SDL-devel-1.2.15-mingw32.tar.gz (or a later version if there is one).

SDL-devel-1.12.15-mingw32.tar.gz installs easily after unpacking (I
believe it ships mostly binary components rather than builds anything
much from source).

To build the Haskell binding you want to tell Cabal to use these libs:

   Extra-Libraries: SDL.dll SDLmain

Additionally point to the extra devel and lib dirs - for me with a
vanilla install of SDL-devel-1.12.15-mingw32.tar.gz they located in
these directories:

  Include-Dirs:   C:\msys\1.0\include\SDL

SDL includes the toplevel header SDL.h, plus others.

  Extra-Lib-Dirs: C:\msys\1.0\lib

which should contain libSDL.dll.a, libSDL.la, and libSDLmain.a

I modified my local SDL.cabal file to include these changes (otherwise
I'd likely forget them if I needed to rebuild), but you should be able
to pass them as options to  "runhaskell Set.lhs configure"

Regards

Stephen