[Haskell-beginners] calling inpure functions from pure code

Emmanuel Touzery etouzery at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 15:54:23 CEST 2012

Hello,

Thanks for the tip!

I'm in fact using dom-selector:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dom-selector
which is based on xml-conduit and html-conduit. The reason being that it
offers CSS selectors and is generally much higher-level than what I
would do with parsec.

So I'm not sure whether what you wrote applies.
Actually your function doing the parsing here is not pure as such, it's
a do block and ordered. What I have done so far is that dom-selector
gives me the DOM structure of the page (so that parsing part is done for
me), and then I give to my function that DOM structure and the
examination of that DOM structure is completely without a do block, it's
not ordered, it's pure. In that way my "parsing" (really examination of
the DOM tree) is completely split of any IO or other monad.

I think when you are within parsec as you mentioned, you are within the
parsec monad (bear in mind I don't really understand all of this for
now), and to do IO you need to go to the IO monad, and for that you use
liftIO. In that case that's another problem than the one I'm having.

Emmanuel