[Haskell-beginners] Processing a list of files the Haskell way

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:04:03 CET 2012

Le 14 mars 2012 11:44, "Michael Schober" <Micha-Schober at web.de> a écrit :

>> An "experienced" Haskell programmer would probably reuse some of the
>> "streaming" solutions on Hackage, combine it with md5 and a map :
>
> This seems to be the 'Haskell-way' solution I was looking for. I'm still
in the progress of digging through a lot of material I found ([1-3], links
below for other interested readers), but I think that this will be very
helpful in the future with similar projects as well.

> I have yet to test the code you send me last time, but I will give some
feedback of it as soon as I get the chance.

In my own tests it wasn't very fast : 10min to check a 25GB hierarchy of
music files, using 13MB of memory maximum. Though I must admit that I
didn't try to find similar tools to compare so I'm not too certain of
normal performance times.

> Thank you very much!
> Michael

> http://www.yesodweb.com/book/conduit
> [2] Conduits seem to be a development progress originating from
enumerators/iteratee. Therefore, it seems to be a good idea to read up on
those prior:
> http://www.yesodweb.com/book/enumerator
> [3] There's also an article in The Monad.Reader, issue 16 about Iteratee:
> http://themonadreader.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/issue-16/

Good reading ! Though understanding them is not always easy, basic usage of
iteratee/conduit/... is not too hard and often deliver pretty nice
performance improvements.

--
Jedaï