[Haskell-beginners] wrapping text in a multiline string

Rico Moorman rico.moorman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:05:22 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have a given piece of multiline HTML (which is generated using pandoc
btw.) and I am trying to wrap certain elements (tags with a given class)
with a <div>.

I already took a look at the Text.Regex.PCRE module which seemed a
reasonable choice because I am already familiar with similar regex
implementations in other languages.

I came up with the following function which takes a regex and replaces all
matches within the given string using the provided function (which I would
use to wrap the element)

import Text.Regex.PCRE ((=~~))

-- Replaces the whole match for the given regex using the given function
regexReplace :: String -> (String -> String) -> String -> String
regexReplace regex replace text = go text
    where
        go text = case text =~~ regex of
            Just (before, match, after) ->
                before ++ replace match ++ go after
            _ -> text

The problem with this function is, that it will not work on multiline
strings. I would like to call it like this:

newBody = regexReplace "<table class=\"sourceCode\".*?table>" wrap body
wrap x = "<div class=\"sourceCodeWrap\">" ++ x ++ "</div>"

Is there any way to easily pass some kind of  multiline modifier to the
regex in question?

Or is this approach completely off and would something else be more
appropriate/haskelly for the problem at hand?

Thank you very much in advance.