[Haskell-beginners] Haskell platform confusing to me

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jan 3 20:19:05 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 08:00:17PM +0100, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have 2 questions regarding Haskell platform.
>
> 1. If I would like to install the newest Haskell platform on say Ubuntu
> Precise which is in the making I could proceed like follows:
>  - install all dep packges from
>    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/haskell-platform
>    which means I would manually have to download all debs and install
>    them thereafter.
>
>    Is this true?
>
> 2. I have Ubuntu Lucid and like to install the newest Haskell platform.
>    Do I have to build it from source?
>

> I didn't find any (big picture) documentation telling me how the
> installation pathes possibly are. As can be seen I'm pretty confused
> how to proceed.

I don't have a Ubuntu Precise system to try this on, and it was a
while since I stopped using Debian-based distros, but don't you just
have to turn on the universe repo and then use apt-get?

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay