[Haskell-beginners] cabal install errors & issues

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 05:59:25 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Really, the platform comes with everything that cabal-dev depends on,
>> so it might be easier to solve whatever error message you're getting
>> without the '--force' flag.
>

> Unfortunately I'm seeing the same thing, but on OS X (Lion):  "cabal install
> cabal-dev", with no local packages, wants to reinstall/break a bunch of
> Platform libraries.

Ug. I have a weird franken-install on my end, so "cabal install
cabal-dev" (or even just a "cabal unpack" "cabal configure") works
cleanly for me.

Maybe you could file a ticket with "cabal-dev" to ask what you need to
do to install on a fresh platform install, or ask on haskell-cafe.

Can you try upgrading "cabal-install" to see if the new solver handles
it better? I think the new version works with what is in the platform.
If you also get errors there might be ways to make it go ...

Antoine