[Haskell-beginners] Haskell as a useful practical 'tool' for intelligent non-programmers

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Mon Apr 30 01:52:16 CEST 2012

umptious <umptious at gmail.com> wrote:

> > To someone marginally skilled at logical thinking Haskell appears to
> > be the first choice as the first programming language.  I'm offering
> > two experiences as a reference:
> >
> > * A friend of mine with no technical and no math background wanted
> >   to learn programming.  I decided to go with Haskell, because it
> >   would be an interesting experiment.
> >
> >   The experiment turned out to be very successful.
>
> I suspect that most experiments in teaching programming languages with
> one-to-one tuition are! If the guy had posted saying "Hey, I have a
> friend who knows Haskell really well and wants to teach me" then I'd
> have said that he should very seriously consider it.

Your message is not related to my post, and a good indication is that
the given quote is incomplete even for the purpose of making the point
of that particular experiment.  Then that point alone is also not enough
either, because there is a strong connection between the two examples I
mentioned.  All in all you apparently didn't understand a word of my
post.

My statement is not about teaching, it's about learning and I'm pretty
sure it is very solid.  On the other hand, your suggestion to avoid
Haskell unless you have a high IQ or math/formal logic background is
entirely unfounded.  If you make a claim like this, you should provide
some reasoning.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/