[Haskell-beginners] Issue installing reactive-banana-5.0.0.1

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sat Apr 28 16:50:15 CEST 2012

Miguel Negrao wrote:
> I had a try again at running the examples of reactive-banana-wx. I
> unpacked reactive-banana-wx-0.5.0.0. I have installed wx and wxcore
> version 0.13.1, that’s what I managed to install at some point (I
> think there were some issue with OSX Lion on previous versions). So I
> changed the cabal setup of reactive-banana-wx-0.5.0.0 to wx==0.13.1,
> wxcore==0.13.1 and then did 'cabal install -fbuildExamples’ and
> everything builds. Most of the examples run fine, although the resize
> of the window is completely hacky, all the widgets assume strange
> proportion and become almost unusable
> (http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1149/capturadeecr20120428s14.png)
> . The asteroids app (which was the one I wanted to have  look at) the
> window becomes just a couple pixels, so I can’t see anything
> (http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1149/capturadeecr20120428s14.png).
> Is there a problem in using wx 0.13.1 ? Btw, wx 0.90 "Builds and runs
> cleanly on 64 bit platforms (particularly MacOS X  Lion)”. Would
> reactive-banana-wx work with wx0.9.0 ?

Ah, it looks like your version of  wx  got linked with wxWidgets 2.9.3
instead of wxWidgets 2.8 . This introduces various issues, in particular
the ones you ran into.

If you just want to try a few examples with wxWidgets 2.9.3, you can
install reactive-banana-0.6.0.0 and the corresponding -wx packages from
the master branch at

   https://github.com/HeinrichApfelmus/reactive-banana

This should work with wx-0.90 (though some examples crash), but I can't
give any guarantees whether the official 0.6 version that I'm going to
release on hackage will have the exact same API.

That said, I'm basically just waiting for Jeremy to release a small
patch to wx on hackage that fixes some of these issues (for instance the
strangely minimized text entries and the crashes). After that, I'm going
to release reactive-banana-0.6.0.0 that depends on wx-0.90.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com