[Haskell-beginners] Two questions for a production project...

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Fri Apr 20 04:43:13 CEST 2012

On 04/19/2012 07:40 PM, Mike Meyer wrote:
> I've got a project coming up that I could use haskell for, providing I
> can convince myself that it's appropriate. The critical question is:
>
> Anyone using Haskell in a long-running production application? I'm
> talking about something where the program would run for weeks or
> months non-stop, with either multiple threads or multiple copies.

I have a rather stupid application that parses feeds from the Twitter
API. For each username given on the command line, it calls forkIO and
the new thread enters a recursive loop:

  recurse x y z = do
    recurse x y z

forever and ever.

Contrary to my expectations (I still basically don't know what I'm doing
in Haskell) it seems to run in constant space for months at a time.