[Haskell-beginners] apt cabal hackage

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 07:55:57 CEST 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 12:43 AM, csmagic <csmagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:42 PM, csmagic <csmagic at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Trying out the graphviz package...
>> >
>> > $ cabal list|grep -i graphviz
>> > gives
>> > cabal: <stdout>: invalid argument
>> > and nothing else
>> >

>> Your example works great for me. What OS are you using, and what
>> version of cabal?
>>
>> You could also try:
>>
>> > cabal list graphviz
>>
>> But that doesn't give you all of the power of regular expressions.

My only guess is that something is odd about your terminal - I've
never seen that error message before, on linux or anywhere else.

> $ cabal --version
> cabal-install version 0.10.2
> using version 1.10.1.0 of the Cabal library
>
> [I just did a cabal update cabal. Did not do anything as far as I can see]
>
> $ uname -rv
> 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Tue Mar 8 21:36:00 UTC 2011
>
> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> wheezy/sid
>
> On a related note I find a lot of libghc6-something-or-other which are all
> described as dummy packages.
>
> Is Debian not the best system to play around with Haskell?
> I gather gentoo is where the most haskell development happens...

I used to do Haskell development on Ubuntu - I would install the base
libraries from apt, and then use 'cabal' user installs to do the rest.
These days I work on a Mac, where I start with the Haskell Platform
installer.

There's an active Debian+Haskell group; I don't know much about gentoo
(maybe they don't advertise as much).

Sorry I couldn't be of much help with the odd error.

Antoine