[Haskell-beginners] Need some advices about university

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 28 20:21:48 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:27:18PM -0500, Noah Diewald wrote:

> Carnegie Mellon seems to be one of the US universities that are most
> aggressively including FP in their instruction:
>
> http://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/teaching-fp-to-freshmen/

CMU is one of the only places I know of that is so agressively and
comprehensively teaching FP in its normal undergrad curriculum.
However, off the top of my head here is an (incomplete, unordered)
list of other places with faculty/research groups doing things with
FP:

  * Princeton
  * Yale
  * Harvard
  * University of Kansas
  * Indiana University Bloomington
  * Portland State
  * UPenn

In such places, as an undergrad, yes, you might have to write programs
in Java -- but if you are motivated you could get involved with
cutting-edge FP research.  You will learn a lot more that way than
just having FP taught in your classes anyway!  In my experience
motivated undergrads who want to get involved in a research group are
often welcomed.

-Brent