[Haskell-beginners] problem installing checkers

Britt Anderson britt.uwaterloo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 15:07:48 CEST 2011

> Message: 10
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:42:20 -0400
> From: Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Haskell-beginners] problem installing checkers
> To: beginners at haskell.org
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 06:56:57PM -0400, Britt Anderson wrote:
>> I wanted to try reactive, but cabal install fails on checkers (a
>> dependency). Here is a portion of the error message, there are other
>> overlapping instances that follow. Can someone advise me how to
>> proceed. Thank you.
>>
>> [13 of 15] Compiling Test.QuickCheck.Classes (
>> src/Test/QuickCheck/Classes.hs, dist/build/Test/QuickCheck/Classes.o )
>>
>> src/Test/QuickCheck/Classes.hs:137:38:
>>     Overlapping instances for Show (a -> b)
>>       arising from a use of `property'
>>     Matching instances:
>>       instance Show (a -> b) -- Defined in Text.Show.Functions
>>       instance Show base:System.Event.Manager.IOCallback
>>         -- Defined in base:System.Event.Manager
>
> This is very naughty of System.Event.Manager, to define IOCallback as
> a *type synonym* for a certain function type, and then declare a Show
> instance for it.  However, the instance shouldn't come into play
> unless System.Event.Manager is imported, and I don't think it is. So
> this error message seems rather odd to me.  What version of GHC do you
> have?  What is the output of 'ghc-pkg list' and 'ghc-pkg check'?
>
> -Brent

Here is the print out of the last part of the error message when doing
sudo cabal install reactive --global followed by the ghc-pkg list and
ghc-pkg check functions.
Thank you,

src/Test/QuickCheck/Classes.hs:514:37:
    Overlapping instances for Show (a -> m)
      arising from a use of `property'
    Matching instances:
      instance Show (a -> b) -- Defined in Text.Show.Functions
      instance Show base:System.Event.Manager.IOCallback
        -- Defined in base:System.Event.Manager
    (The choice depends on the instantiation of `a, m'
     To pick the first instance above, use -XIncoherentInstances
     when compiling the other instance declarations)
    In the expression: property foldMapP
    In the expression: ("foldMap", property foldMapP)
    In the expression:
      [("fmap", property fmapP), ("foldMap", property foldMapP)]
category-extras-0.53.5 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
checkers-0.2.8 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
reactive-0.11.5 depends on checkers-0.2.8 which failed to install.
[britt at britt-fr07 ~]$ ghc-pkg list
/usr/lib/ghc-7.0.3/package.conf.d
   Boolean-0.0.1
   Cabal-1.10.1.0