[Haskell-beginners] How to get HLint working?

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 25 03:19:36 CET 2011

On Friday 25 November 2011, 02:35:52, Avery Robinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install HLint but I can't figure out how to use it. It
> seems like the install works, but when I type "hlint file.hs" my
> terminal gives an error. Here's a copy of my terminal output:
> http://pastebin.com/n071J2mL
>
> It looks like the install works, but at the end you can see that it
> doesn't function as I am expecting. I'm having difficulty finding
> relevant documentation. Help please?

Is

/Users/averyrobinson/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.0.3/lib/hlint-1.8.18/bin

in your path?
Probably not, that directory was likely only created when hlint was first
installed.
That's an odd configuration for cabal to create a new directory for an
executable to install in.

I suggest letting cabal install executables in ~/.cabal/bin (edit your
~/.cabal/config, the install-dirs stanzas; and add that to your path), or,
if you wish some other directory in your path.