[Haskell-beginners] Need advice on R vs Haskell

haskell heath haskell.heath at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 06:52:31 CET 2011

I'm new to Haskell and I can't really call myself a decent programmer in
any other language. Do you think it's wrong to think that I can contribute
to the statistics library? I can't decide if I'm being pragmatic for me to
learn Haskell and contribute to the statistics library in hopes of being as
productive as I would be in learning R. I'm wanting to write a scraper and
analyze that data, and I figure this is what the statistics module can be
used for. The other alternative to Haskell and R, is to use something like
node.js for scraping, js's regex for filtering, and analyzing the resulting
data with RPy.

Here's a brief overview of my programming exp:
Python:
- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist using Python
- official tutorial
- official reference material
- a few project euler problems

Javascript
- all of the Mozilla docs

Haskell
- started with the RWH, switched to 98' Report, switched over to Yet
Another Haskell Tutorial, switched to Gentle Intro, and finally switched to
Learn You a Haskell and I'm on the seventh chapter now. I'm considering
switching yet again to A Gentle Intro, because it's been months now, and I
just want to finish one of these, and that seems to be quickest route.

Other
- I have briefly learned about C and C++, I start an intro to C++
programming next semester.

Thank you for your help.