[Haskell-beginners] Understanding some notation

Jack Henahan jhenahan at uvm.edu
Mon Jun 27 00:14:44 CEST 2011

I have this code snippet:

    import Data.List

    aaa x (y:ys) = case splitAt x (y:ys) of
      (n, x:xs) -> x:n ++ xs
      (n, xs) -> n ++ xs

I understand what it's meant to do (that is, split a list at index `x` and make a new list with that element at the head, or just return the list when given a singleton), but my brain is failing me when trying to read the notation `n ++ xs`.

Is there some obvious explanation that I'm just forgetting?

====
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-- Edsger Dijkstra
====