[Haskell-beginners] How to access non-exported function from Data.Set?

Christoph Bussler chbussler at aol.com
Thu Jun 2 03:06:38 CEST 2011

Hi,

Thanks; so I imported Data.Set and copied the function

splitLookup :: Ord a => a -> Set a -> (Set a,Maybe a,Set a)
splitLookup _ Tip = (Tip,Nothing,Tip)
splitLookup x (Bin _ y l r)
   = case compare x y of
       LT -> let (lt,found,gt) = splitLookup x l in (lt,found,join y gt r)
       GT -> let (lt,found,gt) = splitLookup x r in (join y l lt,found,gt)
       EQ -> (l,Just y,r)

When compiling it says:

src\Main.hs:70:15: Not in scope: data constructor `Tip'

src\Main.hs:70:22: Not in scope: data constructor `Tip'

src\Main.hs:70:34: Not in scope: data constructor `Tip'

src\Main.hs:71:16: Not in scope: data constructor `Bin'

src\Main.hs:73:63: Not in scope: `join'

src\Main.hs:74:54: Not in scope: `join'

And I think this makes sense as neither the data constructors, nor the
function 'join' are exported. Is there any other way you could think of?

In terms of the maintainers of the containers or Data.Set, how do I find out
who could make a decision to include splitLookup in the export list?

In terms of the use case, I'd like to find an element in a set. If the
element is there, I'd like to get it back (not just the fact that it
exists). If it is not in the set, I'd like to get the next higher and the
next lower one (according to the sort order). This is almost exactly what
splitLookup does, however, splitLookup gives me both the trees, whereas I
only would need the elements of the set.

Thanks a lot!

Christoph

Christoph Bussler
ChBussler at aol.com