[Haskell-beginners] a problem with maps

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 18:48:14 CEST 2011

> If I am reading your paragraph, I may look up 'perspicuously' and find
> it in the dictionary.  I have to learn about this word to understand
> your paragraph?  You need three extra syllables to express what could
> be expressed much more clearly as: 'So, you need two lines of extra
> code to express what could be expressed much more clearly as:'.

Reminds me of an anecdote on George Orwell's writing style I found as
part of an NPR article[1]:
A scrupulous writer, Orwell notes, will ask himself: What am I trying
to say? What words will express it? What fresh image will make it
clearer? Could I put it more shortly? Have I said anything that is
avoidably ugly? The alternative is simply "throwing your mind open and
letting the ready-made phrases come crowding in. They will construct
your sentences for you — even think your thoughts for you — concealing
your meaning even from yourself. It is at this point that the special
connection between politics and the debasement of language becomes
clear."

-deech

[1] http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6124822