[Haskell-beginners] a problem with maps

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 25 18:20:26 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:44:56AM -0400, David Place wrote:

> If I am reading your code, I may look up second and find it in
> Control.Arrow.  I have to learn about Arrows to understand your
> code?  And pure makes me need to study the Applicative class.  I
> imagine that it is likely that second is the only thing from
> Control.Arrow that you are using and pure is the only thing from
> Control.Applicative.  So, you need two lines of extra code to
> express what could be expressed much more perspicuously as:

If I am reading your paragraph, I may look up 'perspicuously' and find
it in the dictionary.  I have to learn about this word to understand
your paragraph?  You need three extra syllables to express what could
be expressed much more clearly as: 'So, you need two lines of extra
code to express what could be expressed much more clearly as:'.

;-)

I am all for clarity in both code and prose.  Excessive vocabulary use
can hinder understanding; but so can artificial restriction.  In any
case, length has very little correlation with clarity.

-Brent