[Haskell-beginners] Diagnosing : Large memory usage + low CPU

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 5 07:29:17 CET 2011

Excerpts from Hugo Ferreira's message of Fri Dec 02 05:57:00 -0500 2011:
> I have attached a profiling session (showing types).
> I am surprised to see that the "[]" consumes so much data.
> Where is this coming from? Need to analyse this more closely.

For an -hT profile, what that actually means is your lists are using lots
of memory.

> Any idea how I can track what's generating all those "[]" ?
> Note that the (,,) seems to be the NGramTag. data which is basically
> used as a list (Zipper).

For that, I recommend rebuilding with profiling and use the RTS flag -hc.

For more details on how to profile programs like this, check out:

    http://blog.ezyang.com/2011/06/pinpointing-space-leaks-in-big-programs/

Edward