[Haskell-beginners] Haskell for POS (business) apps

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 04:54:15 EDT 2010

2010/9/12  <glpunzi at lordzealon.com>:

> For the moment, We are developing a POS system. The first prototype is
> beeing developed under Windev(1), but, I would like to move to opensource

I have developped a POS system under Windev. Developping in Haskell
for this project was unfortunately not an option for me; however maybe
I can help you with a few answers :

- There are libraries for database access, for example HDBC or Takusen.
  I have used HDBC-mysql with no problems so far

- We accessed a serial display, a ticket printer and a cash drawer using
  OPOS drivers which are unfortunately a Windows only thing. I don't think
  there's an OPOS binding for Haskell, so you're left with two options:
  * develop such a binding yourself,
  * find a way to access the devices directly.

- There's no problem to code web services in Haskell.
  There's many networking libraries, web frameworks, etc.

- Windev has many shortcomings especially compared to Haskell, but one
  thing it's good at, is quickly doing user interfaces. In Haskell, the
  UI will IMHO require more work in Haskell. That being said, I've
  never designed large UIs in Haskell, so maybe with experience it