[Haskell-beginners] Haskell for POS (business) apps

glpunzi at lordzealon.com glpunzi at lordzealon.com
Sun Sep 12 08:43:31 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I work in a company thath needs to develop some applications.

As IT Manager, I'm on the decision to choose language and platforms.

For the moment, We are developing a POS system. The first prototype is
beeing developed under Windev(1), but, I would like to move to
opensource options as soon as posible. For this reason I'm here. I'm
looking to all this languages thath take my attention to take a look,
and I'm very curious about Haskell, for this I would like to learn a
little about it.

For our projects, we will need database access (RDBMS or Objects
database), reports, serial ports access to communicate with external
devices (serial display, ticket printers, cash drawers, and so
on..)..web services..well...all thath a POS application will need. I
would like to develop for it too, a Desktop and Web BackOffice, some
application to take orders (PocketPC, Android) and so on..It suppose,
all of this, will work under Linux or Windows (it's decision of my
customers), and I would like to do it like a chameleon, to adapt to
many type of customers as possible.

Then, my main question is: I know (suppose), with Haskell you can
develop whath you want, and I readed Scala is a good option, but I
don't like the idea of depend of JVM, and Haskell do native
executables. Is worth the effort for this type of applications? There
are libs for this things? It's easy to maintain large projects?

Sorry for my english and lack of knowledge :S

PD: I come from a Delphi and Smalltalk background.

(1)http://www.windev.com