[Haskell-beginners] Re: Motivation to Learn Haskell

A Smith asmith9983 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 17:42:06 EDT 2010

My  tuppence worth is the wonderful conciseness of programs, the way
abstraction works, it  almost forces you into creating simple very testable
functions. These functions will  have a well defined uncomplicated
transformation, and as such may be re-used to build more complex functions.
As a beginner, the templtation is to resist the temptation to implemrnt
imperative code, but to link functions together in my thinking like a shell
script. With a shell script programs are stated left to right with the
output of the leftmost being fed into the next one to the right. I think
with Haskell on a similar pattern with a pipeline of functions feed from the
right-most one. The next thing is to learn associativity rules and the use
of parenthesis,  and $ operators.
Read everything on www.haskell.org.
Confuse yourself by trying to read Prelude source code!
--
Andrew Edinburgh,Scotland