[Haskell-beginners] Re: Motivation to Learn Haskell

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 20:30:53 EDT 2010

Tim Perry <perry2of5 at yahoo.com> writes:

> If you do jump in, I'd recommend the Real World Haskell book or the The Haskell
> School of Expression book.

Another interesting title is _Programming in Haskell,_ by Graham Hutton
(see http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book.html).  Duncan Coutts has
written a review on the title (see
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book-review.pdf).

As for motivation for learning Haskell, one motivator is the purely
functional nature of the language, which is referentially transparent
and therefore facilitates reasoning about programs.  Haskell has roots
in category theory, and therefore, it is frequently possible to use
category-theoretical reasoning to reason about the correctness of
programs; this cannot be said of most other programming languages.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

> Good luck,
> Tim

http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^