[Haskell-beginners] Re: type puzzlement

prad prad at towardsfreedom.com
Wed Jul 21 14:29:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:10:53 +0200
Jürgen Doser <jurgen.doser at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is: <interactive>:1:0-21 says the error is in line 1, columns
> 0-21 of the interactive input.
hmmm i'm worse at reading error messages than i thought. usually it
comes out something like Elem.lhs:186:13:, but i should have been able
to adapt and be more aware.

is there any sort of a guide for reading and interpreting error
messages? i couldn't find anything specific through google.

thank you for clarifying my difficulty jurgen (and ulrik, via email).
i'm not sufficiently capable of understanding type messages either.

i think it would be beneficial for me to collect these error messages
and type explanations as they come up to try to find patterns in them
to acquire more competence in interpretation.

are there techniques or approaches others have used to get good at
understanding error messages as they learned haskell?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's