[Haskell-beginners] Re: why is something different within a function when it comes out?

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 03:39:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 3:19 AM, prad <prad at towardsfreedom.com> wrote:
> which works fine for single lines, but produces nothing for multiple
> lines - same with some of the other ways i tried it with single lines
> good, nothing for multiple. python requires setting the re.S flag which
> i always found strange since \n i thought is a char as well.

The problem is classic in regex world : by default "." match any
character except \n, I would suggest "<title>\n([^<]*)\n</title>"
which is probably a bit more robust anyway. Though you must be aware
that parsing html (or any markup language) properly with regexp is
just impossible in general and you can only get crude and fragile
approximations. There are proper html parsing libraries on hackage if
your needs become too complex for simple regexp to handle.

--
Jedaï