[Haskell-beginners] Is haskell a good choice for someone, who never programmed before?

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Fri Jul 2 16:50:01 EDT 2010

On Friday 02 July 2010 22:36:46, edgar klerks wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a question. A friend of mine wants to learn a programming
> language, because we work together. He studied economics and is busy in
> the financial sector. I understood Haskell is used there pretty much, so
> he got interested in it. But is haskell a good language for someone, who
> never even tried a language like basic?

Actually, the rumour goes that Haskell is easier to learn if your brain
hasn't been conditioned by years of imperative programming.

> I also want to know if someone has an idea, what a good approach is to
> start. I think real world haskell is a bit tough to begin with. He is an
> analytical thinker, so I think he can learn it, but I don't want to
> scare him away.

Analytical thinker sounds like a good fit, I'd think he'd see the beauty
before being scared.

> He is interested in functional languages, because he knows the banking
> sector uses it a lot. Maybe lisp is a better start?

Perhaps, perhaps not, depends on your friend.

> I thought I first let him read:
> http://learnyouahaskell.com/introductionbecause it start with using
> haskell as a calculator. That seems to be pretty
> basic.

That, and the wikibook, I think for analytical people without much
mathematical background, Simon Thompson's Craft of Functional Programming
is an excellent fit.

> And mathematics, where to start? I thought algebra, but I am not sure if
> that is too advanced.

Elementary number theory is a pretty good method to lead people into
algebra. Start by giving problems that can be solved by trial and error and
build a more systematic view upon those excursions.