[Haskell-beginners] Uncalled for apology.

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:20:55 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> I think I must have missed something, could you send a link to the
> message you're talking about?

I was puzzled as well.  Here's [1] the archived message in question
(see also its replies).

I don't want sound rude, but maybe you are overreacting, Sean.  I
agree that we should be able to exercise our freedom of speech on this
mailing list.  But in Richard Mittel's defence, we really want to be
nice to everyone on the list as well, and he's right when he says that
some people may misunderstand Paul's example.  Given that Paul wasn't
stating his opinion, and only giving an example, giving another
example that couldn't be misunderstood should be better (and he
himself agrees with this in [1] when he says that he couldn't come up
with a better one).

In other words, from my point of view Richard wasn't censoring Paul,
but cautioning him that those kinds of examples may be inflammatory
depending on who reads them.  And he's probably right.  I've had OOP
classes where students got offended by those very kinds of examples.

[1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/2010-December/006084.html

Peace, and Merry Christmas! =)

--
Felipe.