[Haskell-beginners] How to think in Haskell

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Sat Dec 18 08:00:16 CET 2010

Jun HU <junhufr at gmail.com> wrote:

> My first language is C, and I've strong intention in learning a pure
> functional programming language. My very first question is how to
> think in the functional programming way, anyone has some ideas.
> Really appreciate....

Well, programming is about building a house.  Using the imperative
procedural paradigm (C) you express how to build the house (what do you
need to do to reach the goal?), much like in a recipe.  Using the
declarative functional paradigm (Haskell) you express what the house is,
much like in a scheme or specification.

Haskell is about as functional as a programming language can get by
concept, because with the equals sign (=) you write actual equations.
In most other languages the equals sign expresses assignment, not
equation.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/