[Haskell-beginners] Re: Compiling C into Haskell

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 04:59:24 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 09:05 +0300, Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente wrote:
> I am going a bit off-topic here...
>

> > PS. Could you limit length of line to 72-80 characters? Thank you in
> > advance.
> >

> Please, don't impose others how to format their email. There is an
> interesting reasoning in favor of not breaking lines in email: it is
> better for accessibility, because of how screen-readers for visually
> impaired people work. I will quote a message by the accessibility expert
> Chris Hofstader:
>
> > I forgot to mention that, when using a screen reader, many  users try to maximize their line width so, if reading by line, they can often get an entire paragraph with a single down arrow rather than reading through superfluously narrow lines which have two problems:  1. they require more keystrokes which 2. break up a user's concentration as the flow of sentences are broken up by needing to take action a every few words.

Depends on the logic of down key. Some editors make down key jump to
corresponding visual line some corresponding real line.

> And what is the universally best length of line anyway? I have also seen
> people sending emails with really thin columns that get annoying to
> read... If you feel bad about emails sent with long lines, just enable
> text wrapping in your email reader.

According to RFC 1855 - 65 characters:
"- Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line with a
carriage return."
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

So it is official.

Traditionally the paragraphs are separated by two newlines so there is
no problem

> And yes, I wrap the text in my email because I know there are many
> people like you, but maybe this message will help us in being more
> tolerant about how others use their tools --I did not know about these
> accessibility issues a few months ago neither!
>
> JP

Screen readers could be easily patched too (to skip whole paragraph on
key down or shift+key down). The paragraph for email has been
traditionally separated by two newlines.

Regards