[Haskell-beginners] Re: Compiling C into Haskell

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Fri Apr 16 03:20:11 EDT 2010

Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente <magnicida at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am going a bit off-topic here...

Me too, but that's how mailing lists work. =)

> And what is the universally best length of line anyway? I have also
> seen people sending emails with really thin columns that get annoying
> to read... If you feel bad about emails sent with long lines, just
> enable text wrapping in your email reader.

The big problem is that some mail/news readers assume that lines are
prebroken, especially when it comes to older terminal-based readers.
This is bad, but it's the state of things.  Otherwise there is little
reason to prebreak lines and many reasons not to do it.

To answer your question, typographically you should prefer lines with no
more and no less than 80-90 characters.  Longer lines tend to distract
the reader when it comes to find the beginning of the next line.
Shorter lines are annoying to read, because you need too much
reorientation.  That's why all HTML pages I write contain something like
the following CSS statement:

  div#content {
    max-width: 80ex;
  }

I think mail/news readers like Thunderbird go into the right direction
by employing an additional header, which precisely specifies the line
breaking behaviour used in the mail.  The actual text is prewrapped, but
using the header newer readers can reconstruct the paragraphs and
display them the way the user wishes.

In fact I would love if HTML mails would be more accepted in the open
source community.  After all there is nothing bad about HTML and it
would solve the above problem.  Most reasonings against it are related
to compatibility or interoperability, which is no problem, because you
can always add a text/plain part.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://blog.ertes.de/