[Haskell-beginners] Urgent: Defining Momory data Types in Haskell

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 02:28:51 EDT 2009

I don't think you provided enough information to give a full answer,
at least not to me.

Briefly, if you want to use pointers as in C, then use IORef or STRef
and the IO resp ST monad.

If you refer to the ability to define recursive structures in C using
pointers like

struct IntNode
{
     int value;
     IntNode* next;
}

then you can just use Haskell's algebraic data types (ADTs), like

data IntNode = IntNodeTag Int IntNode

Of course this particular example is just a list of integers in
Haskell, and on lists you have a multitude of premade functions to
manipulate them.

But I guess this is not the answer you've been looking for? More about
this can be found in any standard Haskell text book or the wikis